Frequent Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find most frequently asked questions answered here.
Q: API calls return an error 401
A: You can get the error 401 in the following cases:
- You did not specify your API key in API request.
- Your API key is not activated yet. Within the next couple of hours, it will be activated and ready to use.
- You are using wrong API key in API request. Please, check your right API key in personal account.
- You have FREE subscription and try to get access to our paid services (for example, 16 days/daily forecast API, any historical weather data, Weather maps 2.0, etc). Please, check your tariff in your personal account and pay attention at our price and condition.
For FOSS developers: we welcome free and open source software and are willing to help you. If you want to use OWM data in your free software application please register an API key and file a ticket describing your application and API key registered. OWM will review your request lift access limits for your key if used in open source application.
Q: API calls return an error 404
A:You can get this error in the following cases:
- You make a wrong API request. Please, check your API request. The detail documentation about any our weather services is here.
- You specify wrong city name, ZIP-code or city ID.
This list contains the following data by locations in our system:
- City name
- City ID
- Geographical coordinates of the city (lon, lat)
- Zoom, etc
Q: API calls return an error 429
A: You will get the error 429 if you have FREE tariff and make more than 60 API calls per minute.
Please, check your code and reduce the number of calls to our services.